Winchmore Hill Quakers launch £33,000 appeal for historic meeting house and grounds
Quakers originally met in a barn, built their first Meeting House in 1688, making them the oldest religious foundation in Winchmore Hill. The current Meeting House was built in 1790. A number of nationally famous people are buried in the grounds.
The Quaker appeal leaflet says "The Meeting House and gardens/ Burial Ground are a very special place of tranquillity and reflection in our busy lives. The gardens are open to the public and the Meeting House is let to local groups. It is an asset for everyone. It is the centre of our Quaker community, an open and accepting spiritual group, which has no dogmas or creeds, but which tries to live out our testimonies in the modern world"
Our Meeting House is built on clay,
The walls have cracked, we have to pay;
Five times the roof has lost its lead,
We need to find a plan instead;
Windows and doors have now gone rotten,
Our planet too is not forgotten,
Our welcome is warm but not carbon free safe, green and friendly - that's our plea.
A Georgian island in a sea of calm,
A place of peace and prayer and balm,
Where noble trees view ancient graves.
Here love moved us to free the slaves.
The rows of stones show faithful lives,
Luke Howard's science named the skies,
Two schools were founded, that spared the rod,
For loving our neighbour is the breath of God.
In times of strife and times of need,
There is more to life than war and greed.
For some the beauty, for some the history,
Some moved by love, the greatest mystery...
The Quaker story – still long to run
There's more to do and more to come
Come those of faith and those of none
Together we are not weak but strong!
Quakers originally met in a barn, built their first Meeting House in 1688, making them the oldest religious foundation in Winchmore Hill. The current Meeting House was built in 1790.