Organising a Street Party in N21

on Thursday, 10 March 2011. Posted in N21 Community


There were three 'Big Lunches' organised in the London N21 postcode last year, in Elsidene Road, Drayton Gardens and Hillfield Park, whose residents organised a communal banquet. Have a look at last year's pictures, here.



Would you like to join in this year and organise a Big Lunch or a Royal Wedding Party in your street?


David Cameron is urging Britons to organise street parties and for councils to play their part by reducing the red tape. You can read the article from the BBC website

We await any announcements from Enfield Council as to whether they are to extend the deadline for the Royal Wedding street party applications as urged by thier political masters.

Getting Started


Spend a few minutes on the following websites, as they take you through the logistics of organising a street party, including applying for permission to close off the road, insurance and licences that may be required.


If you haven't come across the Big Lunch before, it is a community initiative set up by Tim Smit, of the Eden Project, to encourage people to get to know their neighbours. Now in its third year, over two million people expected to participate in Big Lunches, across the country on Sunday June 5th.


There is a useful guide and checklist of the Government's Community website, which you can acess by clicking on the image here.




Enfield Council have provided some useful guidelines on the logistics of organising a street party.


1. Firstly, you need to consult with your neighbours, whether they are residents or businesses. In order to be granted permission to close off a road, you need to have the agreement of at least 90% of residents or businesses in the part of the road you propose to close off. This requires a door-to-door campaign as signatures are required and it is probably easiest to send out a flyer to introduce the idea.

Cul-de-sacs and quiet residential roads can be closed off for a maximum of 10 hours, but permission will not be granted for busy traffic routes or key routes used by the emergency services.  


You need to fill out the Road Closures Request form and return it to the Council. Email  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.    

Post to:-  "Special Events", Highway Services, Environment Department, B Block North, Civic Centre, Silver Street, Enfield EN1 3XA


The deadline for submissions of applications to close a road for a Royal Wedding street party is Friday April 1st.


The Big Lunch is being held earlier in the summer this year, on Sunday June 5th and the closing date for road closure applications will be Sunday May 1st.


In most cases there will be no charge for a straight forward street party road closure.  However, the Council reserves the right to apply a charge for roads where a signed diversionary route is necessary.


2. The Council recommend the event organisers obtain public liability insurance, although for most residential street parties this is not mandatory. The Council recommends Zurich Municipal one of the council's insurers. You can contacted Zurich Municipal community and social organisations (C&SO) team on 0845 6023895. However many other insurance companies offer such insurance also.


3. You will need Temporary Event Notice which costs £21 if you want to have a pay bar, intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or propose to charge money for your event. For further details or advice about licensing, please contact the Licensing Team on 020 8379 3578 or by e-mail, at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

The Council may charge for a street clean or extra bin collection if the street is found to be left in an untidy state after the event has taken place.


For enquires about organising street parties with road closures contact Ray Bradley on 020 8379 3182.


It would be great to hear from anyone planning to organise a street party in London N21 this summer, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Have you ever thought about organising a street Party? Here's how to go about it.

Leave a comment

You are commenting as guest.